IUCN World Congress #WCC_9690: September 2, 2016 - Let's Join the Session!
Innovation in Protecting Marine Ecosystems and Managing Fisheries and Tourism in the Coral Triangle – Collaborative Approaches #WCC_969
Partners in the Coral Triangle Initiative for Coral Reefs, Fisheries & Food Security (CTI-CFF) are implementing innovative approaches to increase effectiveness of MPAs and rebuild fish stocks for benefit of local fishers & businesses. They also work with the tourism sector to encourage operators to be part of MPA management and protect high value conservation areas through best practices & financing mechanisms. Collaborative management approaches are important for effective and sustainably funded and managed MPAs with roles, responsibilities and benefits shared between national and local authorities, communities, private sector, resource owners and users.
This 2-hour workshop will enable sharing lessons from several MPAs designed in collaboration with key stakeholders and that work to protect biodiversity, people and their livelihoods and help manage industries such as fisheries and tourism. The target audience includes key decision makers: MPA managers, Government; Industry and Community, Coastal resource owners and users.
1. To contribute to efforts to expand networks of critical marine areas that are protected, effectively
managed and sustainably financed.
2. To improve understanding of and support for MPAs and to reverse the loss of marine biodiversity and
declining sources of food and livelihoods.
3. Identify key messages for lessons sharing and for policy advocacy
17:00 Opening & Welcome
Overview of Collaborative Approaches to Ecosystem Management
17:10 Case Study Presentations:
- Koon Island, Central Moluccas & Cendrawasih Bay, Papua, Indonesia by Veda Santiadji, Coral Triangle Support Program Leader, WWF-Indonesia
- Birds Head Seascape, Papua Indonesia - Ketut Putra, Vice President, Conservation International Indonesia
- Palawan Island, Philippines - Jackie Thomas, Leader, WWF Coral Triangle Coordination Team
17:40 Community perspective - Moira Dasipio, Vice President, Isabel Mothers' Union, Solomon Islands Industry Perspective (tbc) and Leonie Kanawie, General Secretary for Women (Pihi) Environment Development Forum, Manus, Papua New Guinea
18:00 Working Group Marketplace roundtable
18:45 Plenary and report back
WWF Coral Triangle Coordination Team Leader,
CTI-CFF Communication and Information Manager,
Astrid V. Lim
CTI-CFF Head of Technical Working Group